Below are some specific ways in which cat owners can benefit from visiting our Cat Friendly Practice:
- We make an effort to have a calming environment.
- WE have incorporated a waiting room/area that reduces stress associated with noise, other pets or unfamiliar smells (methods can include feline-only area, cat-only appointment times, going directly into the exam room, etc.).
- Our staff have been trained to understand the individualized needs of cats including feline specific behavior and facial features.
- We implement the Feline-Friendly Handling Guidelines to facilitate a more positive experience.
- We use a slow approach to achieve positive results.
- We develop an individual plan based on your cat’s specific needs, preferences and behaviors.
- We implement ways to make you and your cat be as comfortable as possible.
- Our staff continually obtain education on the most current feline research and guidelines.
- We will help ensure that you are a valuable member of your cat’s healthcare team and help you understand your cat’s needs and what you can do at home to ensure they get the care they need.
- We use synthetic feline facial pheromones for a calming effect.
- We have a feline-only examination room that provides a safe, non-threatening area where cats can be examined calmly and effectively.
- We have experience and training to recognize subtle, early signs of fear or anxiety and adapt appropriately.
- Our cat ward, hospitalization area and operating room have been assessed to include appropriate feline equipment, tools and procedures.
- Each practice also has at least one ‘Cat Advocate’ who is a knowledgeable professional that ensures your cat’s care is guided by feline-focused standards. Cat Advocates are chosen for their experience, understanding, empathetic manner and willingness to help answer any of your questions. Dr. Andrea Hilden is a member of the AAFP, and is our resident “cat whisperer.” AND it must be said that all our veterinarians love working with their feline patients, and have amazing cat skills.
As a designated Cat Friendly Practice, Animal Care Center has taken specific extra steps to assure that we understand a cat’s unique needs and have implemented feline-friendly standards.